avid Crockett (D.C.) Shanks was born in Clarksville, Tennessee on October 9, 1876. David was married to Emma Elizabeth Curtis and they had three children together; Robert David (R.D.), Edgar H. and Genie Louvenia, all born in Tennessee. D.C. worked as a painter  before enlisting in the United States Army in 1899. Ten years later he became a farmer during World War I.  In 1910 the family was living in New Decatur Town, Morgan County, Alabama but by 1920 they had relocated to Eagle Township in Pulaski County, Arkansas. A few years later the couple divorced on July 5, 1924 in Pulaski County, Arkansas. He then married Ella, fourteen years his junior. By 1930 the couple lived in Los Angeles at which time David worked as a butcher. He passed away February 3, 1933 and is buried at the National Cemetery in Los Angeles.
R.D. Shanks was born on October 6, 1907. He married Gertrude Shackelford on February 15, 1941 in Garland, Arkansas. They had two children together; Charles and Geraldine. During the course of their marriage the moved from Arkansas to South Gate, California. R.D. passed away on December 4, 1974 and was buried two days later at Landmark Cemetery in Little Rock, Arkansas. Gertrude survived for nearly thirty years longer and was buried at the same cemetery in February, 2002.
Edgar Shanks was born on January 11, 1910. He was married to Edith with whom he had two daughters with; Donna and Jeanne. The couple was living in South Gate, California when Edgar passed away at 53 years of age in an area hospital on September 24, 1963. He was buried two days later at Park Lawn Cemetery in Los Angeles. Aside from his wife and children he was also survived by five grandchildren.
Genie Shanks was born August 29, 1911 in Davidson County, Tennessee. At the young age of 15 she married Ned O. Bates on March 28, 1926 in Lonoke, Arkansas. The couple had a daughter, Thelma L. Bates, that died in infancy  , they divorced shortly after. After the divorce Genie went to live with her brother Robert in Little Rock, Arkansas. Genie then wed George Russenberger on October 24, 1931 in Saline, Arkansas. They had one son, Manuel David Russenberger. After George passed away in 1971, Genie moved west to California and later married again to Vincent Celani who later passed away in 1989. Genie passed away in 1994 in Indio, California, her remains were cremated. In addition to her son she was survived by one granddaughter.
- World War I Draft Registration Card (dated 12-Sep-1918), Serial No. 367, Order No. 197
- United States Army Register of Enlistment 1899, Page 170, Line 4
- 1910 U.S. Census of Population
- 1920 U.S. Census of Population
- Arkansas Divorce Index 1923-1939
- Arkansas Ties website
- Obituary published Sept. 26, 1963 on page B-8, unknown newspaper
- Davidson County, Tennessee births
- Arkansas County Marriage Records, 1837-1957, Page 171
- Obituary published in unknown newspaper
- Arkansas Ties email
- 1930 U.S. Census of Population
- Arkansas County Marriage Records, 1837-1957, Page 349
- State of California, Riverside County, Marriage Certificate (dated 18-Jul-1979)
- Riverside County Death Certificate
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Nationwide Gravesite Locator.